MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 27 August 2013, 21:25
Striker
Just call me: Steve

Round Mountain
Australia
Question Newbie confused and overwhelmed

Hello All,

Totally new to CNC and my goal is to build a reasonable system that I can produce parts for my prime addiction of scratch building radio control aircraft from the hundreds of plans I've accumulated over the past 30 years.

For this, I believe a system with a work area of about 900 x 1200 (3' x 4') would be ample, but where and how do I start, I've scoured the internet, visited numerous CNC websites - the more I do, the more I get confused.

Can someone point me to a starting point and advise of a suitable system/setup.

I reside in Australia, where, unlike the US, parts are not as abundant but can be found.

Thanks in advance
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 00:14
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Hello Steve.
First of all welcome.

Ok, what have you spent your working life doing ?
What are your experiences in engineering ?

You need to read up on the fundamentals OF C.N.C.
Axis layouts, direction of motion.
Drive systems.

As for a machine, you can buy a new one from a manufacturer,
You could find a used machine.
You could build one.

Lots of different models available to buy or build.

Read some of the build threads on this forum and others before you commit yourself.

I am 2 1/2 weeks into my build and learning.
Read, read, learn & enjoy.
Above all else, DO NOT RUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lonestaral; Wed 28 August 2013 at 00:15.. Reason: Spelling & grammer
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 01:32
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Steve

One thing you might consider is going to visit a MM builder if there is some one close to you. You can see the machine up close and ask questions. Most MM builders will be happy to talk with you and it help answer a lot of questions.

The other thing that is important is pick a couple builds that are completed and read those threads from start to finish.

I was getting lost with all the kinds of machine when I first started at the CNCZone. With the MM you have the same machine with each build with some variations in the design.

Good luck.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 04:01
Striker

Round Mountain
Australia
Thanks Guys for your input, My early employment was as a Draftsman, I then went onto a career in aviation. I've built a few houses, repaired a few cars, flown a few planes. I consider myself good with my hands and graphic design. My problem is, I see all the CNC machines out there, watch the videos, read this forum, but none seem to give a starting point, they assume YOU know everything, there doesn't seem to be a "CNC 101 for beginners" I've considered purchasing smaller units online but they seem to be geared towards engraving, they my be suitable for my needs but I would prefer to build a custom unit. Can anyone recommend an entry level complete kit that may suit.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 05:35
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
P.M.

Sent you a P.M.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 05:55
lonestaral

Isarn
Thailand
C.n.c.

C.N.C. means Computer Numerical Control.
You do not turn the handels a motor under the control of a computer does that for you.

A 3 axis machine (Router) has 3 axis named X , Y , Z .

X normally means across ( Left to Right or Right to Left)

Y " " " (Away from you or towards you)

Z " " " (Up and Down)

These can be positive or negative movements.

Motors can be D.C. Stepper or servo motors.
These may or may not include encoders. (Open or Closed loop)

The most common drives are Ballscrew or Rack & Pinion.

Sorry , my wife has just called me to eat, have to go.
Hope this helps a bit.
If you want some more information just ask.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 10:25
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Steve

Start at the place that you are most comfortable. Some build the table first, others do the kitchen table project first.

But the best think you can do is read lots of threads of those that have completed their machine. This will give you a better idea of what you might want to do with your build.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 12:51
paulus
Just call me: paul

jhb
South Africa
Hi steve.
And welcom.
Ok let's start with this so you have or are doing drafting,take. The dxf files for the mm and start scaling it down to the size you want. I have done this and build a machine with a cutting area of 600 x 1100 and I think it works well, barring a few changes I need to make regarding the thikness of the motor plates.I have the same plan as you to cut replacement parts for the rc guys.
Just let me know what info you need and I will help you as far as I can.
Regards.
Paul
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 15:11
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
There are easier, cheaper, hobby level machines out there that compromise build quality for ease of construction.
The MM is truly a production level machine that will reward you with years of trouble free service.
Welcome to the forum.
D.
Old Wed 28 August 2013, 21:57
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
If you really can't figure out where to start, that means you need information structured out for you completely. You need books or other sites which are specific for such purpose.
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCDIYCNC.htm
Old Thu 29 August 2013, 13:53
Striker

Round Mountain
Australia
Thanks KenC, Hadn't come across that site - I'll digest the contents.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read