MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   General - MM Build (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is the MechMate suitable for manufacturing these? (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3525)

Curtish Fri 23 September 2011 11:37

Is the MechMate suitable for manufacturing these?

http://musicmanipulatives.com/images...ipulatives.jpgI currently cut these music manipulatives out with a band saw and scroll saw. I would like to manufacture them by the thousands. Would the MechMate be suitable for this purpose? I would love to build one if it is what I needed.

If it is not inappropriate to ask, would anyone be able to quote me a price for having them cut out? I actually have 15 music shapes I would need. Maybe a price on 100 sets of 15 shapes for a total of 1500 pieces?

Also, would anyone have any suggestions as to what type of material would be best suited for handling by small children without them breaking? I currently make them out of 1/4" oak plywood, and sometimes, if the kids are too rough on them, they do break.

Thanks!

danilom Fri 23 September 2011 12:15

1/4" (6.35mm) is child's play for a Mechmate,
you can cut hundreds from a single 4x8 sheet using CAM software with nesting and in the matter of couple of hours.

I make toys from plywood too, but use only 10mm (3/8") and 15mm because its more durable and simply unbreakable in small shapes.
Baltic birch plywood BB/CP (not waterproof) is what I use and it comes in 1525 x 1525 mm boards here in Europe.

MetalHead Fri 23 September 2011 12:45

I am sure you will get some PM from folks willing to cut these for you in those amounts.

Alan_c Fri 23 September 2011 13:29

How about using styrene, fairly durable and not brittle like ply on that small cross section, not sure if its available in 1/4" though?

danilom Fri 23 September 2011 13:36

If making something out of plastic in such large quantities I don't think cutting is good as casting. Wood is a natural material and much more adequate for child toys or small presents.

KenC Fri 23 September 2011 23:00

100 sets 0f 15 different shapes is just the right quantity to manufacture with any CNC router, but too small for a custom die/mould for other manufacturing processes such as punching & injection moulding.
*PS how can anything not break under children's creative destruction?

Curtish Sat 24 September 2011 07:26

Follow up questions:

I'm assuming that inside corners would necessarily be rounded. What would be the diameter of a typical bit for this type of work?

Is it possible to have the top edges slightly rounded? That would save a lot of sanding! I guess what I'm wondering is if you can get a straight bit combined with a round-over portion on top.

smreish Sat 24 September 2011 07:48

Curtis,
All is very possible with either a single or multiple tool change.
- diameter would be most likely 1/4" or 3/16
- round the edge you can either do it post cutting with a round over bit on a static table or have 3d cutting profile to cut the part.

Gerald D Sat 24 September 2011 09:38

Curtis, I don't think there is any doubt that a MechMate is suitable for this job.

Curtish Sat 24 September 2011 10:06

Hey, Gerald, thanks for the reply! I just don't know much about manufacturing. I am just trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective method of producing these in large quantities.

I'm great with computers and enjoy woodworking. I think a CNC machine like the MechMate would be right up my alley, assuming I could find the money to build one and a large enough space to house one.

lumberjack_jeff Sat 24 September 2011 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtish View Post
I'm assuming that inside corners would necessarily be rounded. What would be the diameter of a typical bit for this type of work?
We use 1/4" bits almost all the time.

Quote:
Is it possible to have the top edges slightly rounded? That would save a lot of sanding! I guess what I'm wondering is if you can get a straight bit combined with a round-over portion on top.
It can be done as a second operation on the MechMate, but there are a couple of challenges to that approach; the radius must be small because the material is thin and the roundover bit can't be allowed to cut through the tabs holding the part to the sheet.

A 1/8" radius bit like this should work.

In our shop we generally roundover parts with a stationary router table.

If a major concern is strength, a 1/4" groove could be cut into the backside of the part and epoxy poured in.