MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   40. Z-Slide (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Grinding Slide Plate (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2868)

Zouave Tue 29 June 2010 11:54

Grinding Slide Plate

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to grind my slide plate and trying to work through my available options for doing so, and would appreciate some input.

I have looked at doing it on a table saw and I'm just not enthused by that idea. I have a slow speed grinder with 8" dia wheels that I am thinking about building a jig for to rough it to size, then doing final shaping on the 10" dia tormek wet grinder I have, with the possibility of a final pass on a stationary belt sander to establish true flats instead of being slightly concave. The reason I have the tormek as an intermediate step is that I can better control the cut with that, using the same jig I would use for sharpening planer blades. Any suggestions, given that equipment, of what the best way to proceed would be?
Thanks.

Eric

smreish Tue 29 June 2010 12:47

Eric,
I have found very quick and complete success using the skate provided with the laser parts. If you are using a preground plate that is the proper length, then clamping runoff material on each end will keep you from violating or having to cutting tool steel stock.

Thus (run off plate)(tool steel)(run off plate)
* all placed in a typical bench vise or made up vise of wood material on a sturdy workbench *

The run off plates are sacrificial.

The 36 grit sanding disks do a very good and quick job of this.

Sean

Robert M Tue 29 June 2010 13:20

Sean to the Z-plate rescue again !
ERIC, I say again as Sean came to my rescue too.
I too was not certain how to take care of the Z-slide, and after following was is suggested by Gearld and Sean convincing me to go with the skate, well…. I tell ya, it’s a lot more easy done than just think or exchange post about it.
Proof in the “pudding” …have a look at my thread on this here.

Your approach MAY be ok, but as I put it to my staff & my kids…. Why do you want to take the long & risky route when the simple one is available and in front of you ??? :p

Hey, my two cent and after all….wishing you great fun on your build !
Amicalement, Robert :rolleyes:

Zouave Tue 29 June 2010 13:26

Heh, unfortunately, the primary reason I am not using the skate is because I don't have one... I went with alum. rails with the bolt-on guides. So not an option right now..

smreish Tue 29 June 2010 13:58

Eric,
Do you have a drill press? Chuck up a grinding mandle and tilt the table to 45 degree's. A little dicey, but with the proper table fixture and hold downs, can be done safely with pretty good precision. "yes, I have done it already for another project with vee wheels as the linear guide."

Besser Wed 30 June 2010 00:51

Hey Eric,

I went down the 45deg jig table slotted to expose an 8" bench grinder wheel. Grinding was so easy I (and Chis) completed the grinding under 10min. I was amazed at the finish and consistency, probably the most important was the consistency.

Avoid heat build up by taking light cuts
conduct sequential passes on adjacent sides (you get even grind down to centralise the V)