MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rails & Rollers (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Diy Wheels Build your own (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3212)

asif3244 Mon 13 December 2010 15:48

Diy Wheels Build your own

6 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Finding "V" wheels in some parts of the world is almost impossible for some diy builders, i am one of them, Because of import process difficulties, even one has to import most of the electrical parts such as motor & driver etc, if the parts can be available at one place then money dos not matter, but importing parts from many countries creates headache, i try to design diy wheels for those who even don't find a precision turning shops this is the only an idea i do not meant to alter in mechmate design,

MetalHead Mon 13 December 2010 19:32

You should check with Rick at Superior bearing.

www.superiorbearing.com
rick@superiorbearing.com

See if he ships to you.

Tell him you are building a MechMate.

Others have built their own V-rollers. You will need to have bearings in the rollers.

asif3244 Mon 13 December 2010 23:09

1 Attachment(s)
Mike There is bearings see details in this image

KenC Tue 14 December 2010 00:00

good idea!

Gerald D Tue 14 December 2010 00:56

I have used rollers like this before. The hard corners of the bearings wear grooves into the rails, the depth depending on the number of moves. Getting an even wear pattern is a problem.

Robert M Tue 14 December 2010 04:30

Asif,
Worst case, if not available that is by Superiorbearing ( or equivalent) , have them made locally by a machine shop, as Mike suggest.
To second Gerald, I say this is an area witch you may NOT want to go lower quality than prescribe !
Amicalement, Robert ;)

asif3244 Tue 14 December 2010 14:46

1 Attachment(s)
Robert
on the local turning other then cnc turning precision is not guaranteed, but in this design there is nothing to mill, as for wear as Gerald said above, that is very simple we have to chose the bearing type that has about one Milli tapper as in the image here or you can tapper yourself tapper about 1 to 1.5 Milli from the corner would be enough.

domino11 Tue 14 December 2010 15:12

When others have turned their own V Wheels, there was much more contact area when seating on the V rails. I think you will still see too much wear with this little contact area.

Metalsmith Sun 22 April 2012 15:08

I would use a shoulder bolt if possible for the bearings to ride on and grind a bevel on the bearing with a spacer the width of the flat....in a production machine, maintaining the rails would be required...If you have the money, I am sure some V-wheels could be slipped into that skate board box someone sends you for you next Birthday present .... ; )))

Red_boards Sun 22 April 2012 22:32

Asif,
From a naive view it seems as though the pressure will be sideways on the bearings used in the way you suggest. I imagine that this will lead to early wear and looseness.

KenC Sun 22 April 2012 23:26

Just turn a V-wheel on a lathe, from any metal or hard plastic, Even the drawings are provided. . how hard can it be? if its too hard, than go buy a set.

Gerald D Mon 23 April 2012 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsmith View Post
I would . . . . grind a bevel on the bearing. . . .
You make this sound too easy.

Metalsmith Mon 23 April 2012 05:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
You make this sound too easy.
If you can make a skate to grind bevels on rails you should be able to make a jig to grind a bevel on the bearing, if the material is there. Make a holder and roll with a gloved finger, cooling with air....

Then there is the rest of my statement... " in a production machine, maintaining the rails would be required... ; )

Mr Ron Thu 28 June 2012 12:59

Turn a ring with about a .125" wall thickness (thicker is OK).The ID of the ring will be a press fit with the bearing OD. One face of the ring will be beveled 45°. Two bearings with a spacer between combined will form onw V-groove bearing assembly. The ring can be anchored to the bearings' outer race with a liquid locking fluid (Loctite).

Mr Ron Thu 28 June 2012 14:11

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a sketch to illustrate what I mean.

MetalHead Thu 28 June 2012 14:25

Reach out to rick at Superior Bearing. The V rollers are 13 bucks each and the ecentrics are like 2 bucks. He has a kit ready if you tell him it is a MechMate build. rick@superiorbearing.com

domino11 Thu 28 June 2012 15:21

I agree, if you live in North America, there is not much to gain by making your own V Wheels. Rick is great to deal with and ships fast. Making your own would only apply to people in countries where the V Wheels are not available.

Gerald D Thu 28 June 2012 23:34

Ron, have you previously posted at the MechMate forum under another username?

Mr Ron Fri 29 June 2012 07:40

No. Someone else posted a similar message over in a different forum that I wasn't aware of. My sketch is not unique.

Mr Ron Sat 30 June 2012 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_boards View Post
Asif,
From a naive view it seems as though the pressure will be sideways on the bearings used in the way you suggest. I imagine that this will lead to early wear and looseness.
I think you are quite correct in your observation. A vertical load on the bearing assembly, will create a compressive axial force at the top of the bearing and a tension axial force at the bottom of the bearing.