MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   5x10 ft Mechmate together!!! #123 - Los Angeles,CA (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4802)

st_indigo Mon 01 December 2014 21:23

I figured that dust in the radiator might be an issue, but if I do my dust collection properly that (hopefully) will not happen often....and if it does, a quick poof of compressed air should clear it.

Also, I'm not totally sold on that cooling system. It's meant for CPUs that sit still, not dusty robots moving all over the place, so if it fails I won't be too surprised.

Here's a little video clip of my first cut - milling recesses in the base table MDF for the bolts. I can't get over how QUIET it is!

servant74 Mon 01 December 2014 22:10

So fine!

KenC Mon 01 December 2014 23:16

Good to know you are aware of the draw back of such system.
The spindle is a lot more expensive then the computer CPU cooler.
#PS, no matter how/what you do it, there will always be wood dust...

st_indigo Fri 05 December 2014 10:38

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational battle station!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7549/...1db837e6_b.jpg

Fox Fri 05 December 2014 13:43

Congrats! I remember vividly how that felt. :D

Duds Fri 05 December 2014 15:43

Cool, what is that material it looks like chocolate?

Tom Ayres Sat 06 December 2014 03:09

Looks like cherry in bad lighting. Congrats!

Duds Sun 07 December 2014 04:30

BTW love the coders reference.

st_indigo Sun 07 December 2014 11:06

it's maple, with terrible lighting. :D

servant74 Sun 07 December 2014 11:47

Looks like you are ready for a number! Still a nice glamor shot would be cool, but not enough to keep you from a number...

st_indigo Sun 07 December 2014 13:36

Alright...here's your glamour shot. I had to clean up the shop quite a bit to get this, so I hope you appreciate it. :)

That's a 4x8 foot sheet of MDF on the table now. There's room for 5x10 foot material later. The dust collector and building up a new PC to run it are next.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7551/...b50b498d_h.jpg

Fox Sun 07 December 2014 16:25

I like the watch-out-i-am-coming paint scheme :D

Robert M Mon 08 December 2014 05:21

Well done & clean !
Congrats ;)

Tokamak Tue 09 December 2014 12:32

Nice Build, Fast too!

st_indigo Tue 09 December 2014 18:00

Not exactly the fastest build. I've been at it for YEARS. I just posted the photos all at once!

Let's see...I ordered the laser cut parts in June 2009, so that means it only took me 5 1/2 years to finish it.

Tom Ayres Wed 10 December 2014 02:45

To me it looks like it took a month to build ;)

MetalHead Mon 15 December 2014 04:55

Congrats on your build !!! You get SN #123.

darren salyer Mon 15 December 2014 16:05

Congrats on #123 from #101.

lonestaral Mon 15 December 2014 17:12

Well done #123.
Enjoy your creation.

racedirector Mon 15 December 2014 17:15

Congrats on getting her done! Welcome to the club from #122 :)

pblackburn Mon 15 December 2014 18:11

Congratulations #123. I have enjoyed your picture progress.

IMMark Tue 16 December 2014 06:05

Well done and congratulations #123.
Seems like the numbers are coming faster and faster!
Mark

jhiggins7 Tue 16 December 2014 21:45

Builder's Log Update

Congratulations on completing Serial #123. Very nicely finished.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please review and let me know any changes you wish to make.

I determined the start date based on your comment about a year's worth of progress pictures. It's fairly arbitrary. I just try to capture the actual elapsed time of the build, not the preliminaries like getting a copy of the plans and studying the build threads.

hennie Tue 16 December 2014 21:53

Congratulations on your MechMate No 123. 100 MechMates later

smreish Wed 17 December 2014 06:36

Congratulations.

st_indigo Tue 16 February 2016 17:56

coolant pump and radiator working just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ayres View Post
Make sure you purchase a back-up pump, mine failed in three months. I bought two.
Well here we are a year and a half later and the pump is still working, as is the cooling fan/radiator. I have to blow out dust periodically, but no other issues have manifested. :)

st_indigo Thu 17 November 2016 17:00

UPDATE from #123

Coming up on two years of uptime as a nearly-every-day production CNC router.

Things I have learned:

- WEAR A RESPIRATOR, especially when cutting MDF, exotic woods or plastics. The dust collector helps, but it doesn't catch everything. You don't want to get sensitized to dust. Trust me on this.

- Check the set screws on those pinions about once a month. Use some blue threadlocker on them. I've had a few jobs get ruined because of this.

- Check the Z-slide eccentric bearings occasionally. They do loosen and wander a bit over time.

- Those expensive bits and the good-quality plywood are worth the extra money. They will save you countless hours sanding and fixing bad cuts. I use void-free baltic birch almost exclusively.

- Installing the 110v outlet on the Y car was a really good idea. I get a lot of use out of it when I need to use a handheld sander or oscillating tool (great for cutting parts out of a sheet when using tabs).

I'll post some photos soon. I've been making a LOT of things!

pblackburn Fri 18 November 2016 10:24

I would recommend a Clear Vue cyclone or building your own Pentz cyclone. A respirator is always a good idea. Make sure you are doing a fresh air exchange in the cutting area. Use a spray bottle to mist the air with water and mop the floor daily. Water will help with breaking down the particles in air and on the floor. I even went as far as to purchase a cv06 mini for my wet dry vac. I have found this drastically reduces the dust problem that we all should be paying attention to.

pblackburn Fri 18 November 2016 10:27

The Z slide loosening, I had that as well when i used that design. I totally agree about the more expensive brazed or solid carbide cutters. Worth their weight in gold.

st_indigo Fri 18 November 2016 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblackburn View Post
I would recommend a Clear Vue cyclone or building your own Pentz cyclone. A respirator is always a good idea. Make sure you are doing a fresh air exchange in the cutting area. Use a spray bottle to mist the air with water and mop the floor daily. Water will help with breaking down the particles in air and on the floor. I even went as far as to purchase a cv06 mini for my wet dry vac. I have found this drastically reduces the dust problem that we all should be paying attention to.
Haven't tried misting the shop with water yet. Will give that a try. Not sure I want to spray the air though - that would be bad for my lathe and table saw.

I do have a cyclone - an Oneida dust deputy hooked up to a ShopFox 220v dust collector. It works pretty well but like I said, it doesn't catch everything. Unfortunately I can't vent it outside so the next best thing would be for me to get some big HEPA filters on it. Working on that next!

The biggest problem is that I am in a big shared warehouse space with other artists & scene shops, so even if I created zero dust, I would still be getting it from my neighbors.