MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Construction started, but not cutting yet (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Starting up in AZ (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2985)

Mojo Thu 19 August 2010 14:54

Starting up in AZ

I will be using 4'x8' US stock

Mojo Thu 19 August 2010 15:09

Hey People

Southern Arizona is where I hail from. Currently building a House a farm and a life as self reliant as i can be. So with that in mind i am looking toward making a machine that will handle many of the jobs i need to do at home IE Wood cutting/plasma cutter using a work area measuring 4' x 8'.

Mojo Thu 19 August 2010 15:28

Starting up in AZ

Starting to collect information on this particular cnc machine will post when i start welding phase.

MetalHead Thu 19 August 2010 15:46

Welcome to the group !!!

Check out the store for parts kits.

http://www.cvsupply.com/servlet/the-MechMate/Categories

domino11 Thu 19 August 2010 15:55

Welcome Mojo! :)

smreish Thu 19 August 2010 16:29

Greg, a fellow MM user is in AZ too....maybe nearby?

Good luck and welcome to the club.

Sean

Mojo Sat 21 August 2010 14:14

Down south

Down in Bisbee, AZ

smreish Sat 21 August 2010 14:40

Ed is in Alamogordo, NM, Greg is in Hagerman. These are two fantastic machine builds. Good Luck

Sean

Mojo Fri 27 August 2010 05:51

On the Road waiting on shipping

On the road working right now till the 5 of september hope to get home and have the lazer cut package. This is going to be fun... well except for the part where i have to remove old faithfull work bench from center of shop and clean the place up in preparation lol

zigmart Tue 31 August 2010 04:05

I'm in Phoenix, almost have my machine done. I know my build log sucks .......

Mojo Sat 04 September 2010 15:03

Got the Lazer cut package today woot

Will be cleaning my shop and prepping for cutting tomorrow.. yay got me lazer cut package woot woot

Mojo Thu 09 September 2010 20:48

So let me know in AZ

So if anyone wouldn't mind me taking a look at there machine and maybe talking a bit of shop please let me know.

Mojo Fri 10 September 2010 10:29

Parts streaming in now to find the time to start cutting

Well now I have the steel delivered, the lazer cut kit, has arrived only slightly bent (nothing i can't straighten :) ). I have all the bearings for the XYZ axis... as well as hardened rails ordered from Rick at Superior bearing. Getting the angle iron Lazer cut for mounting the hardened rails should have back tomorrow (cutting angle iron with my grinder didn't appeal to me at all :D. Now to get to wielding and cutting for the table... the excitement builds

smreish Fri 10 September 2010 18:10

Good luck on the long weekend of stuff to do....

smreish Fri 10 September 2010 19:08

Mojo,
Are you having Structural STEEL angle cut down via Laser or Architectural Grade ALUMINUM angle?

Mojo Fri 10 September 2010 20:01

Steel angle is what i purchased

Ernest Kerr Sun 06 January 2013 09:51

Why do so many of these threads just suddenly end? It's been over 2 years since Mojo's last post. Wha happend?

sailfl Sun 06 January 2013 11:51

Ernie,

People get involved with other things and they may not have the time to work on their build or they finish the build and are busy cutting stuff.

Once you get the machine built, you have a learning curve on how to use it.

There are a number of other builds going on..

If you want to come to Orlando to see one in action, I would be happy to show you mine.

Mojo Mon 07 January 2013 17:03

Not ending just life is slowing me down

Well i have not posted much as i have yet ot do anything but collect gear to build my MM ..I had to stop and build a house a green house a studio apartment and now finally this year i get to build my shop ..sign.. then the mechmate will start getting focused attention. So this thread will not die !! lol

barry99705 Mon 07 January 2013 18:09

Fricken life, money, and work always get in the way of fun!

Mojo Wed 13 February 2013 19:27

Orlando ,,,

Honestly I work in Orlando at least twice a year so I would love to see your MM posted awhile ago about taking a look at someone's running machine that would be huge for me!!!

jd.roberts Thu 14 February 2013 19:55

Mojo, If you were closer we could help each other bust these MM's out.

Mojo Thu 14 February 2013 21:28

Yea Mesa a little far :(

Mojo Wed 13 March 2013 22:32

Well bought the plans awhile back after I forgot to save the free ones from two years ago dooh.. Now i am waiting on Metalhead to take more of my money for Pdmx boards and gecko's (not sure why you need lizards for this..)
Anyway like I said above I need to build my shop before the MM so starting that on april 1st will post some pics so my build has a little color

Mojo Mon 16 September 2013 22:51

Shop start

1 Attachment(s)
back wall of shop for MM finally started!

Mojo Tue 17 September 2013 18:38

goat barn

the rest of the building there is the goat barn in progress 17' by 20'. Shop will end up being 20'x30'

Mojo Sat 28 September 2013 08:20

MM flooring..

So i am currently getting ready to finalize my flooring design for the MM shop. I am thinking of using 3/4 chip board base then cross layer that with 3/4 a/c ply.
The Floor subframe is 2"x2" 16 gauge box tubing set at 2' centers anyone think i may be asking for vibration issues here? thank you!

MetalHead Sun 29 September 2013 03:20

You may have flex in that floor.

I also would not put chip close to the ground since it may be effected by moisture (I know your in AZ !!! :) )

I did a building with 14 gauge 2x3 floors only 12x12 floor and 3/4 inch cdx ply and it flexed a good bit. It was just a storage building.

They make a self tapping screw just for attaching plywood to metal.

Are you sitting the 2x2 frame on runners? Some use 2 2x6 treated. You may want to go with 3 or 4 and skip the chip board.

I built metal tube frame buildings for a few years.

Mojo Sun 29 September 2013 07:17

Thank you for the input!

jhiggins7 Sun 29 September 2013 09:25

Is a concrete slab an option? I live in Texas and I had a slab poured for my shop floor. I pre-installed conduit for circuits to the machines and I buried 5" ducts for the dust collector...wish I had used 6" given what I've learned on the Internet about duct sizing. I have not had a problem, but just wishing.:D