MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   General - MM Build (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I have been wanting to build one of these for so long,... (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3675)

smreish Sat 04 February 2012 18:22

Charles,
It really is a user choice based on the orientation of your machine in the work space.
I personally have 0,0 (if looking from the sky view) on the bottom right, which means it's on the right of the short side of the machine. This is evident when you look at the spoil board because the distance from the side C channel to the spoil board is shorter here, which makes working on small parts in the small corner easier.

You will be required to define the o,o in your file generating software and the clockwise and direction of the file being built.

For instance, if your 0,0 is in the bottom right like mine, then to travel to 60x120 is actually and -60, +120 move. The software does this for you, but you can see the actual results in your g code when it call each move out by line.

Not to confuse you - but your machine set up can be manipulated any way you chose that makes sense to your workspace.

Gerald D Sat 04 February 2012 22:47

There might be confusion on what is "bottom", or where is the "right side when you face your machine". I think I am speaking for most of us when I say:

The job of the MechMate is to make a solid model of something that we have on our computer screen - yes, that thing in front of you at this very minute. That is the starting point. So, where do you have 0,0 on your screen when you are in a CAD program? Most of us have it bottom left. X goes across the screen to the right, Y goes up the screen to the top.

Our screens are wider than what they are tall. The natural way to lay the screen image onto the bed of the MechMate is to get the long axes parallel. So we will have the main beams at the top and bottom edges of the screen and the gantry runs vertically across our screen as we see it now.

The open end of the MM is in from the left or right sides of our screen. We tend to spend most of the time standing on the left side. If we stand there, then 0,0 is to our right, nearest to us with Y going left and X going away.

But, the basic principle stays - where is 0,0 on your screen for CAD, and then how will you lay your screen image down on your table?

Kobus_Joubert Sun 05 February 2012 01:30

I ageree with Gerald, and everybody that I helped in building or setting up a new machine I tell them to place the screen in the same plane as the work table. This way you know where the machine will move. Once you understand this concept, you will NEVER run into the side of the table or off the rails...hopefully.:o

Gerald don't you mean Y.. going away.. Z is the plunge ?

Gerald D Sun 05 February 2012 04:02

Thanks Kobus, I meant X going away (parallel to main beams) - have edited it now.

racedirector Fri 13 December 2013 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
There might be confusion on what is "bottom", or where is the "right side when you face your machine". I think I am speaking for most of us when I say:

The job of the MechMate is to make a solid model of something that we have on our computer screen - yes, that thing in front of you at this very minute. That is the starting point. So, where do you have 0,0 on your screen when you are in a CAD program? Most of us have it bottom left. X goes across the screen to the right, Y goes up the screen to the top.

Our screens are wider than what they are tall. The natural way to lay the screen image onto the bed of the MechMate is to get the long axes parallel. So we will have the main beams at the top and bottom edges of the screen and the gantry runs vertically across our screen as we see it now.

The open end of the MM is in from the left or right sides of our screen. We tend to spend most of the time standing on the left side. If we stand there, then 0,0 is to our right, nearest to us with Y going left and X going away.

But, the basic principle stays - where is 0,0 on your screen for CAD, and then how will you lay your screen image down on your table?
Sorry to quote the whole post of an old thread but this is THE best explanation of X, Y and 0,0 I have seen anywhere, fantastic work Gerald. I think this post should be stickied somewhere for those wondering where 0,0 should be.

Cheers
Bruce

MetalHead Fri 13 December 2013 19:32

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...8&postcount=62

Best to comment and link off to the thread.

racedirector Fri 13 December 2013 19:35

Sorry Mike, will do that in the future.