MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   General - MM Build (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Basic question (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3796)

JasonC Sun 27 May 2012 01:41

Basic question

Im building a cnc router...Has anyone made a multi use mechmate. Say adding a removable tray on the table for a Router/Plasma cutter?

Jason

Quadro Sun 27 May 2012 02:55

Yes, it works but..... the change over time is a killer. It took me 2-3hrs to change over, even with 2 blokes 1.5hrs. After the second time I had enough, each 2 hours could be spent making another MM not to mention lost productivity so I am in the process of building another.
I thought it would be easy but I have now put it down to a bad idea :o.

smreish Sun 27 May 2012 05:09

Jason
#58 is designed and performs this duty. It is really a dedicated Plasma machine, that when needed for quick other routing work, you add a spoilboard, resurface and start cutting.
I agree with Quadro, the change over time is significant. Mixing fire with wood requires a bit of planning and diligence.

JasonC Wed 30 May 2012 08:48

Was thinking more about having it set up like a duel router or spindle setup.To keep the changing over part as minimal as poss. Rather than a complete re-set up. Ill look at #58.

Thank you
Jason

JasonC Wed 30 May 2012 08:51

the search isnt showing #58 does anyone have a link?

Jas

The only reason is I do allot of both anduntil funds permit Im trying to use what I have.

Axel1966 Wed 30 May 2012 10:51

MechMateForum > Personal Build Histories > MechMate Already Cutting > Page 1 :
MechTorch! The First Mechmate Plasma #58 - Winston-Salem, US ;)

Quadro Wed 30 May 2012 17:18

You will also have to think about dust management from the router and plasma.
You will run out of inputs/outputs on one BOB, so a second BOB and a second parallel port PCI card wll be needed.
2 configs/setups for the controller software could be needed.
I'm no trying to put you off or tell you it can't be done, just making sure you had thought of everything.

JasonC Thu 31 May 2012 08:58

Ok thanks, i have the dust management under control now...I have a full machine shop here at home.
Im currently setup with the router side using USB.

I havent had time to research all the control side yet. it should be pretty close to the router except the touch sensor, the plasma torch trigger and amperage device..?.

Anyone have a basic controler blueprint from the power supply out for a plasma setup? Or maybe a link.

I may just end up doing a straight plasma cutter and have the funds generated from that fund the cnc router...oh and a shop extension..lol.

Thanks
Jason

Axel1966 Thu 31 May 2012 14:56

May we have a photo of your router ? ;)

JasonC Thu 31 May 2012 19:49

Im not finished but the base is complete and the controler tested, waiting on .083x2x4 steel from the states. None in alaska...lol.

JasonC Thu 31 May 2012 20:50

Is having the plasma added as...lol...simple as adding a THC to the controller? I have a pmdx-126 bob. I read the importantance of isolating also.

Jas

domino11 Thu 31 May 2012 22:07

Jason,
Others have successfully used 3/16" and 1/4" wall tube for the Y axis gantries. Can you get that locally?

Quadro Fri 01 June 2012 05:50

To connect a plasma with a digital THC you will need the following -
Arc On (connected to plasma - output on BOB)
Arc Ok (connected to plasma - input on BOB)
Torch Down (connected to THC -input on BOB)
Torch in Position (connected to THC - input on BOB)
Torch up (connected to THC - input on BOB)
Torch Touch off (connected to THC - input on BOB).

With that many THCs and BOBs you will have to make sure they are comaptable.

I would stick with the 2mm RHS if it is for a plasma - aceleration is most important.

JasonC Fri 01 June 2012 08:22

Thats great info thanks.

Im looking at the LCTHC at CandCnC.

Jason

danilom Fri 01 June 2012 10:49

Anthony, what purpose serves the IN POSITION input? I use Agelkom THC and have not used of this input, up/down is all that works for me besides the touch and set height. Thanks

Quadro Fri 01 June 2012 16:41

Danilo, your right as far as controlling the z axis In position has none. It can be used for an on screen indicator.