MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself and start planning (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   UK based newbie saying hi (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5529)

Dangle_kt Wed 26 April 2017 15:22

UK based newbie saying hi

Hi everyone,

Love the forum! Lots to learn.

Little bit about me and why I am planning a build.

My Dad is about to retire and as a wood machinist of 20-30 years who wants to top up his pension we have devised a cunning plan for a small business idea, using a CNC router.

I have been trying to find a suitable CNC router but keep hitting issues with questionable quality, light duty structure, all the way to too high cost for the commercial level machines - as we will almost exclusively doing panel work, the 8x4 mechmate seems to tick a lot of boxes.

It helps I have just invested a lot of money into my man cave for metal working, so I have a big CNC mill (HAAS), a smaller CNC lathe (Denford) and smaller machines like welder, pillar drills and band saw etc. so I should be ok for most elements - the only thing I think I will be missing is a sheet bender able to handle the Z structure as that looks a little complex.

I have ordered a set of pre-bent parts from the UK based supplier, and was hoping to buy a load of other bits they might be willing to sell to help the build along, but they said they can't due to licence limitations- which is a shame, but I guess rules is rules and its good for the Mechmate owner to know the UK partner is playing fair.

I have to be honest, I am completely out my depth when it comes to the electronics, I understand what the bits do (at least major components) so I will likely ask a series of irritating questions over coming months. If any UK based Mechmater is out there that I could pop across to and have a look I'd be really grateful of the experience - I'll bring my go pro and record you talking me through the electrics for later reference and help.

I have a hankering to use clear path servos, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not...if I have to spend a few £££ more on the setup but it saves hours of head scratching, I think that sounds good to me!

Anyway, much to do, really looking forward to progressing!

IamDave Wed 26 April 2017 16:43

Welcome Dangle and best wishes on your build. Sounds like, you have all the tools to get it done.

Tom Ayres Thu 27 April 2017 02:56

Welcome Aboard! I do believe there are a few MM builders in the UK and I'm sure someone would lend a hand.

MetalHead Thu 27 April 2017 03:23

Welcome aboard!!

Dangle_kt Fri 28 April 2017 06:45

Plans bought... BOM forming slowly :)

jim coggan Sat 06 May 2017 10:49

got a 10ft x 5ft frame for sale if interested, had to move out of my workshop so just dismantled mine, am in east yorks

sphericos Tue 16 May 2017 04:17

I am not very local but happy to answer anything i can.

Andrew_standen Fri 09 June 2017 13:05

Hi Dangle

If your ever down this end look me up. Always willing to help if I can.
Good luck with your build.