MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   10. Base Table (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Base table out off square (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070)

m_leblanc Fri 21 August 2009 10:41

Base table out off square

1 Attachment(s)
BASE TABLE OUT OFF SQUARE
Hi, I have a problem with my base table being out of square by .563 inches, what I was thinking to solve this problem was cutting two opposite corners and my question is should I cut on the inside or outside corners of the of the longest diagonal and weld it back up. In the drawing the slant is exaggerated for it to be clearer.
Thank you
Attachment 5834

Gerald D Fri 21 August 2009 11:28

Have you already screwed the support board (1010123) to the cross-supports (1010302)?

If "No", rig a wire/rope between the legs at B & D, tighten wire/rope to get table a bit more square (say about within 1/8" on the diagonals) and then screw the support board down.

If "Yes", then remove the support board and do procedure above.

A perfectly square base table is not necessary to carry a square support board.

A square support board is achieved by this procedure: Setting the Y-axis square to the X-axis ie. You use the machine to cut its own table square.

m_leblanc Fri 21 August 2009 17:16

Thank you for your reply, I did exactly what you mention and now it is dead on

Mountaincraft Sat 21 August 2010 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Have you already screwed the support board (1010123) to the cross-supports (1010302)?

If "No", rig a wire/rope between the legs at B & D, tighten wire/rope to get table a bit more square (say about within 1/8" on the diagonals) and then screw the support board down.

If "Yes", then remove the support board and do procedure above.

A perfectly square base table is not necessary to carry a square support board.

A square support board is achieved by this procedure: Setting the Y-axis square to the X-axis ie. You use the machine to cut its own table square.
I was thinking of welding tabs at each corner below the table support and the shelf support near the bottom of the legs, temp bolting a cross support at each end of the table, and then squaring it all with wire cables attached to the welded tabs with turnbuckles.. Then welding the cross supports in and the shelf supports in 'after' it was squared with the cables... Was considering the idea of leaving the cables and turnbuckles in permanently even to add rigidity and fine tuning of the tablle...

Maybe that's overkill, but I have a problem with overbuilding sometimes... okay, a lot of the time... Probably why I'm attracted to the MechMate in the first place.. It seems overbuilt....:)

Mark

Scott Hightower Sat 21 August 2010 09:40

square

use a ziz wheel to cut the inside of A & C and the outside of B&D and use a ratchet cable hoist to pull B & D. Keep the ratchet in place until you are completely done welding.

The other thing is to double check is that the lengths of all the parts match or you may have bigger problems.

Scott

Mountaincraft Sun 22 August 2010 06:54

Does it really even matter if the table is slightly out of square? I'm thinking that as long as you can get the ground X rails parallel and square to each other, then that's all that really matters.. Or am I not considering something here?

Seems to me, that if you have a replaceable 'cutting' board on top of your bed, even 'that' doesn't have to be square to the world, as you can use the CNC to make it square at the same time you surface it......

In my mind, the important thing is to get the X rails level and square to each other, and everything after that will fall into place...

Then again, I'm just in the 'learning' phase of all this, and I'm just an electrical/general construction jock with a couple years of college and a few years as an electronics tech... most of the engineering talk is mumbo jumbo to me...

Mark

Gerald D Sun 22 August 2010 12:06

See last 2 lines of second post.